Last spring a group of library and ATS staff thought that it would be helpful for our students if we could install Click,Speak
( CLiCk, Speak is an open source, freely available extension for the Firefox web browser. It is part of the CLC-4-TTS Suite of products, it features a mouse driven interface, and it reads web pages – hence its name.)
on all public access machines in the Library here at Landmark College. I asked an image making guru co-worker, Maria Nespolo to see if this were even possible. Her genius and perseverance did not let us down and her directions are as follows:
Configure Firefox for all users in Windows XP
Now, when the next user logs in, they will have all the settings and information in Firefox that you set for your default user account!
- If you’re a college like us, still running a Novell network with lots of locked down public computers, you may have found yourself in need of customizing Mozilla Firefox for all users who may log into a computer. Since Novell will create a new Windows User for each person who logs in, the desire to be able to customize Firefox can be a great one. It’s actually easier than you would think.
- Under the Windows User that would be your default, install all add-ins you want the users to have access to and change any settings desired in Firefox. (this includes the homepage and bookmarks)
- When this is done, you will just need to change the properties (by right clicking on the icon) of both Firefox icons (Desktop and Program Files) and add information below after the “C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe” under Target. User Account will be the name of the Windows User and profilename will be whatever Firefox assigned you when it installed. Each profilename will be unique and can be found at:
- C:\Documents and Settings\(windows_user’s_name)\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles
- The “-profile” will be “C:\Documents and Settings\User Account\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\profilename.default”
- An example of the full target will read:
- “C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe” -profile “C:\Documents and Settings\User Account\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\profilename.default”